We joined 7th District Federated Garden Clubs of NYS, Inc., in 1956.
We meet the third Thursday of each month, except for January and August,
at 7:00 in the evening.
For these many years our members have enjoyed sharing on-going projects
- a large indoor planter at JP Middle School in Fairport
- a memorial garden in Perinton Park
- two of six Fairport welcome signs
- The Penny Pines Foundation, which works with the US Forest Service Reforestation Project to replant burnt or damaged trees.
- doing crafts with the Lifespan Senior Group Day Rehabilitation group
- Fairport Church Dinner Ministry (make centerpieces for the tables in March)
Our most recent participation, joining other Fairport area garden clubs, was to present a “Blue Star Memorial By-Way” plaque and monument on Main St., in front of the Fairport Library. This plaque is to recognize and honor the dedication of all the men and women for service in the United States Armed Forces past, present and future.
The largest fundraising for our club is a sale held at the annual Rochester Civic Garden Center Proud Market sale held each year on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We share many of the plants that are grown from own gardens at home. There are many shoppers who look for our perennials, and of course we answer their gardening questions.
Our club members have engaged in many activities, including flower arranging as an activity, sponsored flowers shows and we have participated in competitions, receiving many awards and commendations for our efforts.
A brief history of the Fairport Garden Club, from it's earliest days, is a tapestry of horticulture, education, conservation, landscape design, civic involvement and forming lasting friend.